How To Enjoy The Heat In Kelowna
There’s no better place to be than on the water when the temperature rises in the Okanagan. However, with the weather hitting the melting point in Kelowna as of late, it’s also essential to protect yourself and your family. If you have arranged a Kelowna boat rental with Downtown Marina, learn how you can beat the heat and keep cool with these tips:
Best Times To Go Boating
Kelowna weather has been hitting some all-time highs as of late. Weather experts have recorded temperatures as high as 45°C midday. That’s why it’s essential to check the weather before heading out on the water aboard a Seadoo, kayak, SUP, or any other large or small boat rental. If it looks like the heat may be a factor, consider renting your boat in the early morning for a few hours or heading out for a sunset cruise. Downtown Marina has flexible hours and is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. to accommodate you with all your daily boat rentals.
What To Bring On Board
Sun safety starts by being prepared. Ensure to bring along items that will help protect you from heat exhaustion before boarding your boat and remember to hydrate. For anything you forget, visit Downtown Marina’s retail store, which sells all the essentials such as sunscreen, ice, water, cold drinks, etc.
Pack these essentials:
- Sunscreen with a 30 SPF factor or higher
- A wide-brimmed hat that you can secure on your head when your boat is traveling
- Polarized UV protectant sunglasses with a strap
- A sun protective shirt or rash guard
- Loose-fitting clothing
- A cooler filled with ice with at least 2 litres of water per person and electrolyte drinks
How To Avoid Heat Exhaustion
Heat exhaustion can come on hard and fast, especially when you are on the water during a heatwave. To avoid getting into trouble from the heat:
- Continuously drink water throughout the day.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, as it can cause you to lose fluids.
- Seek shelter whenever possible. Head to shore if necessary.
- Dress in layers, removing items as the heat continues.
- Anchor and go for a cooling dip.
- Always wear a hat and sunglasses on board.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming.
What To Do When You Run Into Trouble
If you feel any symptoms of heat exhaustion, including weakness, nausea, headache, pale and clammy skin, and muscle cramps, it’s essential to seek shelter right away and drink plenty of water. Getting your core temperature down is very important as heat exhaustion can lead to the more severe condition known as heatstroke. Signs of heatstroke are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Flushed skin
- Racing pulse
- Rapid breathing
- Hot and dry feeling to the skin
- Altered behaviour (hallucinations)
- Throbbing headache
If you suspect anyone on board your boat to have heat stroke, notify our Dowtown Marina staff, pull to shore, and seek immediate medical attention by calling 911.
Enjoy a fun and safe day on the water with these Tips for Your First Kayak or SUP Rental.
Looking for boat rentals nearby Okanagan Lake? Contact Downtown Marina. Our convenient location right in the heart of downtown Kelowna’s waterfront has everything you need for a fun day on the water. We have large and small boat rentals, Seadoos, non-motorized watercraft such as SUP and kayak rentals, water toys such as tubes, waterskis, and wakeboards, along with boat moorage, boat fuel, retail items, and more.